Friday, July 23, 2010

So much... so quick!

This past week has flown by!

I feel like when we first got into town I wanted to relax and really soak in the experience. But now that we're so close to the end, I feel like I need to fill every single second with something. Of course, life gets in the way... but let's go back, I've lots I haven't mentioned.

I guess the big thing was our trip to Terezin. This concentration camp was one of the first and has a long and twisted history that made our visit extremely surreal. Terezin was originally built as a fortress and was used as a prison for many years before it became a concentration camp. As a camp, it held the dubious honor of being known as the "show" camp, the camp that was used to show the visitors from the Red Cross that Hitler wasn't treating the Jews too badly. Obviously, this was pure propaganda. We even watched parts of a propaganda film that was made of the camp called, "The Town Hitler Gave the Jews."

Needless to say, the entire trip was surreal. To see the film, to see actual people walking in the areas we were walking in, seeing pictures of the day the camp was liberated.... just being there...

In high school, high school the first in El Paso, I was in a performance of the play "I Never Saw Another Butterfly," that was about the children in this camp. The drew art, wrote poetry, put on plays... because they were supposed to make others believe nothing was wrong. We saw some of the art and writing... and though I didn't cry, couldn't cry, my insides knotted up.

There is no way I will ever understand that.

I'm not sure I can say anymore about that.

So, the day after Daniel and I decided to take a happier more carefree trip to Pilsen, the home of Pilsner Urquell, one of the oldest beers still around. It was like the Disneyland for beer. The tour was a little simplistic, hey-the Jack Daniels Distillery tour has us spoiled, it was still fun. We also got to try some special beer made in a traditional way on site.

After that, it's been classes and work and unfortunately, the sick. I had it, now Daniel has it... so, we're calling it an early night.

Tomorrow, we leave on a trip to Cesky Krumlov and Cesky Budejovice (also known as the home of the REAL Budweiser). So it should be a great weekend.

After that? Only one more week! Tell the kitties we'll be home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment